Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Brain Fog Disorder

A couple of months ago, I went through a psychological evaluation to find out if I had A.D.D. It was pretty grueling as tests go, I was there for almost 5 hours and was interviewed as well as taking a battery of tests. One thing I found out is that I'm a monster processor... my processing speed is manic, but sadly, my working memory falls far below that. So, I often feel like my brain is speeding, but I can't grasp and hang on to whatever thought is flashing through. It's really frustrating. Sometimes I find myself wandering in some other world, unable to focus in on any one thing. Time becomes irrelevant during these little forays into my imagination. I've spent valuable minutes/hours day dreaming!

Then there's this thing called "executive functioning". That's the ability to organize your life, keep track of your things, categorize, make decisions, be prompt, be able to follow through, manage your time wisely... an ability that's massively impaired when you have A.D.D.

I've spent my whole life trying to function, going to school, working, managing my home and family, but struggling in a kind of fog. Finally, I have an answer as to why it takes me so long and why it is so much of an effort to do things that seem to be easy for most people. I have a brain that doesn't fire very efficiently. I'm so relieved to find that there is something that can help me. It doesn't solve all my problems, but it clears out the fog and enables me to be productive. I'm not the type of person to say that all you need is a magic pill, but if there is something that helps, then by all means, take it. I can testify that my life has improved many times over now that I've found something that helps me think.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome comic Robin. It has a really cool flow to it and I really love the first panel. ^-^

    ReplyDelete